Barack Obama was elected based on the speeches and promises he made in 2008 and shortly after he was inaugurated. Unfortunately for America, he has failed to come through on those promises, especially those dealing with spending and the economy. The ten most egregious of these flip-flops are chronicled below:
- In February 2008, Barack Obama promised that his PAYGO bill would force government to live within its means by ensuring that America would pay as it goes. After proclaiming himself to be some kind of fiscal champion, it was discovered that Obama wrote four HUGE exceptions into PAYGO that would total $2.8 TRILLION. And even though he included a $2.8 trillion loophole, he still increased the national debt by over $3.7 trillion.
- During the 2008 campaign, Obama promised to reduce earmarks to 1994 levels. But after just two months in office, he signed an omnibus spending bill which included over 8,500 earmarks totaling $7.8 billion. His excuse? Democrats in Congress threatened to fight him over all of his other policies if he didn’t give them what they wanted… and instead of doing what he promised and what was best for the country, Mr. Obama showed the country he has no backbone.
- In January 2009, Obama claimed that he would tackle entitlement reform and that kicking the can down the road was no longer an option. Since then, what has been done to reform entitlements? The only thing Obama has done was to cut $500 billion from Medicare, hardly reform. Even though the Medicare Actuary has stated that Medicare will be insolvent by 2024, but what has Obama done? Demagogued any attempt to actually reform and save the programs, without offering any solutions of his own.
- In January 2009, Obama said that he would make the difficult decisions to get our deficit under control. He also said he wouldn’t punt the obligation. Instead, Obama… punted! He gave the tough choices to a fiscal commission… and then ignored their suggestions!
- In February 2009, Obama not only insisted that his stimulus would keep unemployment under 8%, but also said it would be careful with taxpayer money. What really happened? The stimulus failed on all accounts, unemployment skyrocketed, the jobs “created or saved” by the stimulus were lost once the money ran out and it did nothing to actually stimulate the economy.
- Also in February of 2009, Obama pledged to cut the U.S. deficit in half by the end of his first term. So where are we now? Each of his three budgets so far have created record deficits, doubling what he promised. Even though Congressional Democrats said that his budget for FY2012 was a credible blueprint to get our country back on track, he realized it actually made our problems worse and therefore gave a do-over speech in April.
- In March of 2009, Obama said that his pork-laden Omnibus was the last time something like that would happen. Hah! Immediately after that, Obama accepted Appropriations bills which contained over 9,000 earmarks totaling almost $16 billion!
- In August 2009, Obama said that health care costs needed to be contained, which was his basis for ramming through Obamacare, which the country never wanted (and continues to want repealed). Instead, according to the Wall Street Journal, “U.S. Health Spending is projected to rise 9.2% in 2014, up from the 6.6% projected before the law took effect.” So instead of making healthcare more affordable in order to keep its costs from bankrupting our country, Obamacare actually sped up the process!
- In February of this year, Obama said his budget would not add to the debt, but instead used budgetary gimmicks he so often chastised. His 2012 budget actually adds $13 TRILLION in new debt over the next decade. Politifact even rated his statements as false since they would mislead Americans into thinking…that he wasn’t lying!
- In April of this year, Obama gave a speech outlining a new budget plan since his first attempt was proven a lie and a bust. However he never produced this new budget, and the Director of the Congressional Budget Office stated “we don’t estimate speeches.” How embarrassing! So now that Congressional Republicans have produced a budget, debated the debt limit and produced a plan to solve that, the “Gang of 6” is about to release its plan, Senate Democrats claim to have their own budget and have released that to a select few AND Mitch McConnell and Harry Reid have produced their own budget deficit solution – we still have not seen Obama’s speech translated into legislation. There is no excuse for this, he has had MORE than enough time to produce this budget to be scored.
In just two years:
- Obama has managed to add $3.7 TRILLION to our national debt,
- increased the unemployment rate to a steady 9%,
- drove 3.8 million people to poverty, and
- prolonged our recession and recovery.
Without his policies, we most likely would have recovered by now, as evidenced by all other previous recessions. If he won’t admit that his policies are destroying our country, then next November we have to VOTE HIM OUT!
It’s clear that Barack Obama said anything to get elected. Now it’s obvious that he will say anything in order to get re-elected. Will you believe his lies?
The only promise Obama has kept was to pass a healthcare law, and it was a complete failure! We can’t give him another chance to further wreck our country.