Congress passed yet another bailout — this time $26 billion for fiscally irresponsible state governments.
The same old tax-and-spend Washington mentality that drove our economy into the ditch is now encouraging the states to follow their overspending ways.
This timely Wall Street Journal editorial provides some background on the issue and largely echoes what Senator Hatch has been saying about the bill:
“To treat Washington’s spending addiction, the November elections are the taxpayer’s best chance to stage an intervention. But until then, President Obama and the Democratic Congress are determined to keep pushing strung-out state governments to take one more fix. …
“So in the name of still another ‘stimulus,’ Democrats are rewarding their own political funders, putting the most fiscally responsible states into even greater distress, and postponing the day of reckoning for spendthrift states.” (Editorial, “Stimulus Pushers,” Wall Street Journal, August 11, 2010)
This is the exact opposite of what we need in Washington.
We need to start cutting spending and forcing Washington to live within its means. That’s why I am leading the fight to pass a Balanced Budget Amendment that will do exactly that.
Thank you for your support, and we hope you have a good weekend.
P.S. You can stay up-to-date with what I am up to by becoming a fan at www.facebook.com/OrrinHatch
- Hill Air Force Base F-35 Involvement Lauded By Officials. Davis County Clipper, August 11, 2010
- NASA Bill Moving Forward, ‘Could Save Thousands Of Utah Jobs’. Ogden Standard-Examiner, August 6, 2010
- Medicare Savings Projections In Dispute. USA Today, August 6, 2010
Selected Tweets – @OrrinHatch in 140 characters or less
- I respectfully suggest that this Admin step up to the plate and fix our broken borders once and for all. #utpol http://bit.ly/bHvyTd
- The Obama Administration’s announcement today that it will not lead on immigration is an outrage. #utpol
- Quoted in this @USAToday article on how the Medicare trustees report is based on flawed logic, gimmicks and 2X counting: http://is.gd/eexnL
- This @WSJ editorial says exactly what I’ve been saying. Washington is bailing out fiscally irresponsible states: http://bit.ly/cVsobj #utpol
- * Here’s an interesting discussion on why raising capital gains and dividends tax rates is bad for the economy: http://bit.ly/c954S9 #utpol