I need to apologize for not having written sooner.
It’s a bit of a sad tale, actually. You see, I’m a Microsoft-technologies developer – no, I don’t work for Microsoft, rather, I develop using Microsoft technologies: ASP.NET, MS SQL 2005, Visual Studio 2005, Expressions Suite, etc. I even have a Windows Mobile Phone and MSN Direct Smart Watch.
Here’s the paradox: My ‘blog is run on WordPress (PHP) with MySQL. I feel so dirty!
So I’ve been playing with BlogEngine and SubText; both are ASP.NET blogging engines, and both are pretty decent, especially SubText.
So I installed them, decided on SubText, configured it, and began to look into the best way to migrate my data into the new database and new structure.
I stumbled upon BlogML, the XML markup language devoted to allowing a blog author to archive his/her entire blog (including categories and comments) to a single file, then import into another blogging engine. Sounds great… but it didn’t work so great.
Turns out I’ve got some invalid XML markup in my resultant BlogML file — something the BlogML engine should have caught and escaped, but didn’t.
My import failed… and failed… and failed… not for wont of trying.
Now I’ve got an empty .NET blog just waiting for content, and a full WordPress blog just waiting for a way to transfer its content over.
I’ve resigned myself to the fact that BlogML isn’t quite “there” yet, and until it is I’m somewhat trapped in the WordPress world… Luckily it’s not such a bad world to be stuck in. 😉