We told you on Monday that the Senate violated Constitutional procedures when they passed S.510, the dangerous “food safety” bill.
You may borrow from or copy this letter . . .
- Increased inspections and paperwork won’t actually detect microbial pathogens
- Costly risk-reduction rules (HACCP) are outdated and will stifle innovation
- Even if the smallest producers are exempt, S.510 will still crush tens of thousands of small and mid-sized farms
- By replacing the words “credible evidence” with “reason to believe,” S.510 gives the FDA power to outlaw foods based on opinion rather than science
- So-called “food poisoning” often comes from chicken prepared in home kitchens, but S.510 doesn’t apply to meat
- Produce contamination is usually caused by factory animal farms whose rivers of cow feces end up in the water supply, soils, and equipment that comes into contact with fresh produce; S.510 doesn’t address that problem
- Finally, it’s impossible remove all risk from life, and a car has a roughly 7,600% higher chance of killing you than eating fresh produce. S.510 imposes costly, unworkable “solutions” to the wrong problems.
Oppose this bill!
And oppose its inclusion into any other, unrelated bill. Instead, introduce DownsizeDC.org’s One Subject At A Time Act. https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/83
We also urge you to tell your friends about this. Forward this to them and retweet this message: http://twitter.com/DDCDispatch
James Wilson, Assistant Communications Director