- In 1994 Senate race, Romney backed the anti-gun Brady bill and anti-gun assault weapons ban, saying “I don’t line up with the NRA” and “that’s not going to make me the hero of the NRA.”
- Romney called Clinton crime bill “a big step forward”.
- As governor, Romney quadrupled gun licensing fees and vowed not to “chip away” at tough gun laws.
- In 2004, Romney signed permanent state-level ban on so-called “assault weapons” that was mirrored after federal “assault weapons” ban.
- In January 2006, Romney said he owned a gun – then two days later admitted he did not and the gun belonged to his son.
- Romney bragged about being member of the NRA but later revealed he didn’t join until August 2006, just before launching his presidential campaign.
- Romney recently said he’s “been a hunter pretty much all my life” but later admitted he hunted only twice in his life, later clarifying remarks by claiming he has hunted “small varmints … more than two times.”
- In 2006 press conference, Romney claimed he had been hunting “many times” after returning from quail hunt in Georgia.
a cross-discipline, multi-dimensional problem solver who thinks outside the box – but within reality™
January 21, 2012