- A police dash-cam catches a Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) Trooper (John Gardner) pull over and question a driver (Jared Massey) regarding an alleged speeding claim outside Vernal ("Dinosaur Land"), Utah
- The driver disputes the claim and asks the Trooper how fast he was going — the Trooper NEVER answers this question.
- The driver refuses to sign the citation.
- The Trooper orders the driver out of the car.
- The driver exits the vehicle and tries to point out the speed limit sign to the Trooper.
- The Trooper orders the driver to turn around, which the driver does, but not to the Trooper’s satisfaction.
- The Trooper orders the driver to turn around again and again (apparently the Trooper wanted the driver to spin in circles?).
- The driver, having already turned around once, apparently doesn’t understand why the Trooper is repeating an order that he’s already complied with.
- The Trooper draws his pistol-shaped Taser Gun and fires.
- The driver falls to the ground — hard.
- The passenger — the driver’s pregnant wife, Lauren — came out of the car screaming.
For the rest of the details, watch the video (below).
According to KUTV, for the moment Trooper Gardner is still on the job and Massey thinks his demeanor at the end of tape says everything people need to know. Trooper Gardner is heard on the tape saying, "He was over there jumping around…I said ‘naw, not going to play that game.’" Even if Trooper Garner is found to have acted inappropriately it is highly unlikely he will lose his job.
If you feel the Trooper’s use of "semi-lethal force" with his Taser Gun was not warranted, please write to the address below:
Department of Public Safety Utah Highway Patrol Headquarters/Administrative Offices Calvin Rampton Building First Floor – South 4501 South 2700 West Salt Lake City, Utah 84114 or fax: +1 (801) 965-4262 or via online form (least effective): http://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/contact_uhp.html
kgorczyn from DIGG has a simple message that you can send to UHP Headquarters:
I have found a disturbing video on the internet regarding one of your troopers: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fae_1195587967&p=1
<p>Please tell my exactly why this person was tasered and why he was placed under arrest for not signing a "speeding" citation?</p> <p>Why did your trooper refuse to tell the driver the amount over the speed limit when asked (repeatedly)? </p> <p>Can you direct me to a law which states you can be arrested for not signing a citation (please include a reference to the specific codified law or departmental policy), or furthermore tasered when not posing any physical threat, especially in front of your wife and child(ren)?</p> <p><a href="http://www.vernalchamber.com/contact.php" target="_blank"><img src="http://www.vernalchamber.com/images/logo.gif" align="right" /></a>As a future traveler through your state I do not wish to encounter a situation like this and may avoid your state entirely pending the contents of your reply.</p>
If you would like to let the local businesses know that you will avoid Vernal, Utah due to this abuse of force please write to the Vernal Area Chamber of Commerce (address to the right). Here’s what I wrote:
I have found a disturbing video on the internet regarding a Utah Highway Patrol Trooper that pulled a man over just outside Vernal, Utah: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fae_1195587967&p=1
<p>As a future visitor to Vernal (and "Dinosaur Land") I'm very concerned regarding this abuse of power and use of unnecessary force that took place near your businesses. </p> <p>Be advised that I am canceling visits to (and any travel through) your part of the state. I am advising all of my friends, relatives, and readers of my 'blog to do the same. </p> <p>I'd urge you and your business members to put pressure on the local UHP office to take action against this officer. </p> <p>I (and my readers) look forward to your reply concerning this matter.</p>
Other Sources for the video
Some people have advised me that site hosting the video above may be "too busy" at times, so here are a few mirrors: