Whether it’s at a townhall meeting, at a Chamber of Commerce lunch, at the airport, or during my driving tour to many of Utah’s rural communities this summer, the issues I hear about the most are the runaway federal spending, our growing national debt, ObamaCare and illegal immigration.
I know that you’ve had enough already with the direction Washington’s been headed. That’s why I’ve taken the lead on several key fights to change the way Washington does business:
- Balance The Budget. Introduced a Balanced Budget Amendment to require Congress to put forth a balanced budget.
- Control The Size & Scope Of Government. Introduced bills to limit the size of the federal civilian workforce, and to put a strong check on the unelected and unaccountable federal bureaucracy by requiring major, new regulations to be approved by Congress.
- Repeal ObamaCare. Leading the fight to repeal the job-killing employer mandate, the liberty-crushing individual mandate and the onerous (1099) business reporting mandate — as well as all of ObamaCare.
- Stopping The Obama Administration’s Backdoor Amnesty. Demanding information from Obama Administration on their plan to let illegal immigrants stay in the country — even after they’re caught.
- Fighting To Keep Taxes Low For All Taxpayers. Ensuring a stable tax code — with low tax rates — is one of the best ways to help the private sector grow.
Unfortunately, none of this is going anywhere in Washington before Election Day.
While some of us are working day and night to reduce taxes on individuals and small businesses, liberals in Congress are insisting that — in order to extend the tax cuts for the middle-class — we must raise taxes on hundreds of thousands of small business owners.
In fact, their priorities are so out of whack that they are holding funding for our troops hostage by cynically pushing a defense bill chock-full of controversial measures to score cheap political points with their liberal base.
It’s unfortunate that the White House and its Capitol Hill allies have allowed politics to get in the way of tackling these important issues. I hope they change their mind, because there’s too much at stake.
These are just a few of the reasons why the elections in just 36 days are so critical to the future of our country, and why I’ve been working to help elect conservatives to the House and Senate here in Utah and across the country.
I appreciate your holding strong in a belief that we will make things better.
Upcoming Events26 Annual Women’s Conference: Discovering the Diversity And Unity Of Women
Please join Elaine and Orrin Hatch for the 26 Annual Women’s Conference on October 4th from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. The cost to attend is $30 (lunch is provided) and an RSVP is required.
Keynote speakers this year are:
- Dana Perino, Fox News Commentator, Former White House Press Secretary
- Marsha Ivins, A veteran of five space flights beginning in 1990 through 2001, An engineer at the Johnson Space Center since 1974
- Kurt Bestor, Emmy Award-Winning Composer and Entertainer
In the News
- Why Constitution Day Matters, National Review, September 17, 2010
- The Right Way to Grow the Economy – Senator Hatch’s Second Annual Economic Forum, September 9, 2010
- Hatch: ‘I’ll Stand Up For The Tea Party Every Time’, Salt Lake Tribune, September 22, 2010
- Senate Republicans Ask Secretary Napolitano About Backdoor Amnesty, American Spectator, September 22, 2010
- Hatch Criticizes Activist Judges At UVU Constitution Week Event, Deseret News, September 17, 2010
Selected Tweets- @OrrinHatch in 140 characters or less
- Everyone’s tired of the White House blaming previous administrations & the Republican minority for everything http://is.gd/fqUIz
- It’s ridiculous that politics has gotten in the way of making sure the American people’s taxes don’t go up. http://is.gd/fqCOG
- 100 days to largest tax hike in history! Most Americans don’t want these hikes and think it will hurt the economy http://is.gd/fneUC
- I’ll stand up for the tea party every time, these people are justifiably angry. They’re making a difference, I’m proud of them.
- Mike’s commitment to conservative principles is just one of the reasons I support @Mikelee2010 and am pleased to endorse him #tcot #teaparty
- There’s no way to defend ObamaCare’s job-killing employer and 1099 mandates, and liberty-crushing individual mandate. #utpol