Quote of the Day:
“True, it is evil that a single man should crush the herd, but see not there the worse form of slavery, which is when the herd crushes out the man.” — Antoine De Saintexupery (1900-1944) Source: Citadelle, 1948
We spent months revising and improving our three Downsize DC Agenda bills . . .
- We showed you the new and improved “Read the Bills Act” about ten days ago
- The new and improved “Write the Laws Act” will go up on our website in about a week
- And the new and improved “One Subject at a Time Act” is available on our website TODAY
Meanwhile . . .
- We have interest about “One Subject” from new congressional offices
- We’re coordinating with our allies in the Susquehanna Valley Tea Party to get all of these bills introduced in Congress
- And I’m planning a trip to Capitol Hill to meet with current pledged sponsors and potential NEW sponsors
But you have a role to play also . . .
Now that we have our updated “One Subject” campaign in place, we need you to hit Congress once again, asking them to introduce and pass our legislation.
You can send your letter to Congress here https://secure.downsizedc.org/etp/campaigns/83
We provide the following part of the letter for you . . .
Please introduce DownsizeDC.org’s “One Subject at a Time Act” (OSTA). You can find the text of the legislation here: http://www.downsizedc.org/osta-legislation
I added the following personal comments to this, which you can borrow if you wish . . .
Please let me hear from you. I want to hear if you will or will not introduce this legislation. Here’s why it means so much to me . . .
Congressional leaders routinely enact unpopular laws by combining them with unrelated legislation that’s sure to pass. I’m NOT happy about this.
I consider it legislation without representation.
You CANNOT be said to have truly represented me whenever you vote on packaged bills containing multiple subjects.
You can ONLY be said to have represented me when each proposal stands or falls ENTIRELY ON ITS OWN MERITS.
No Congressional rule or promise can deliver this outcome, because Congress routinely ignores its own rules. So I want a law. I want DownsizeDC.org’s “One Subject at a Time Act.”
Then, please consider doing two other things . . .
- Make a contribution to help fund my trip to Congress
- Ask people you know to send letters to Congress supporting “One Subject”
Here’s where we currently stand . . .
Congress has received 73,957 letters on behalf of “One Subject” from DC Downsizers. This is huge, but it still represents only a fraction of the potential. Here’s the startling thing . . .
You don’t have to convince people to agree with “One Subject.” Tens of millions of Americans would agree with the idea instantly, if ONLY they knew about it.
Discover the people who already agree. You know some of them, believe me you do. Tell them about the idea! Point out that . . .
- It only takes a few keyboard strokes and mouse clicks to send a letter to Congress using our system
- Tens of millions of Americans would want “One Subject,” if only they knew about it, and . . .
- If the tens of millions who like the idea would tell Congress they want it, then Congress would have to pass it
It isn’t that we lack the tools to get what we want; it’s that too many Americans fail to do the simple, easy things that would bring the changes they claim to desire. You can fix this . . .
- Find the people who already agree with the “One Subject” idea
- Ask them to send a letter to Congress
- Follow-up to make sure they do it — overcoming inertia is the main thing and that usually only takes a little persistence
Go get ’em.
Jim Babka, President