Senate Democrats threw common sense out the door today by refusing to even take a vote on Cut, Cap and Balance.
This debt crisis demands we take serious action to stop Washington’s out-of-control spending, and to put us back on the path to prosperity. It’s unfortunate that some are not taking this call seriously:
“I think this piece of legislation is about as weak and senseless as anything that has ever come on this Senate floor, and I’m not going to waste the Senate’s time day after day on this piece of legislation which I think is anathema to what our country is all about.”
-Senate Democrat Leader Harry Reid, Politico, July 21, 2011
Senator Reid’s decision to shelve this important piece of legislation shows just how determined liberals are to continue their spending spree.
We need to put a halt to the liberals’ tax-and-spend agenda, make real cuts to federal spending and pass a Balanced Budget Amendment to force Washington to live within its means.
As the top Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, I will continue to lead the fight to get this important job done.
Senator Hatch’s Op-Eds On Passing A Balanced Budget Amendment
- Senator Hatch & Senator Mike Lee: Taking The Pledge; The Salt Lake Tribune, July 15, 2011
- Senator Hatch & Ken Blackwell: Conservative Leaders Say Pass Cut, Cap, And Balance; American Spectator, July 14, 2011
TV Interviews & Clips
- Hatch Calls On Senate And White House To Support Cut, Cap, Balance Legislation; U.S. Senate, July 21, 2011
- We Are Taxed Enough; CNN, July 19, 2011
- Making The Case For A Balanced Budget Amendment; Republican Weekly Address, July 16, 2011
In The News
- Hatch Sees ‘Real Problems’ With ‘Gang’ Plan; National Review, July 20, 2011
- Sen. Orrin Hatch Blasts Obama; Calls For Balanced Budget Amendment; The State Column, July 16, 2011
P.S. My message to President Obama and Senator Reid is clear: No Balanced Budget Amendment, No Deal.