Quote of the Day: “I don’t know why everybody is running to buy these expensive and useless machines. I can overcome the body scanners with enough explosives to bring down a Boeing 747. That’s why we haven’t put them in our airport. — Rafi Sela, leading Israeli airport security expert, referring to Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion International Airport, which has some of the toughest security in the world
As you read what follows . . .
- If you want your Congressional Representatives to take action to stop the TSA from using using scanners that will show you naked, please ask yourself . . .
- How many more people in YOUR district would need to pressure YOUR REPRESENTATIVES to get them to take action to protect YOU.
- What is the number? How many people will it take in your district?
- Whatever that number is, what can you do today, right now, to get others in your district to take the action that you are taking. Please reach out and touch people and get them to join YOU in asking Congress to protect YOU.
- Doing this isn’t up to DownsizeDC.org. It’s up to YOU. All we can do is provide you with tools to make it easier to get what you want. The rest, recruiting others to help YOU get what YOU want, is entirely up to you.
Here’s the issue . . .
The “Stimulus” money the federal government stole from you is paying for potentially dangerous and invasive body scanners at our airports. Congress is planning on purchasing more of these scanners in the coming year. But please notice our quote of the day . . .
Israeli airports are much more threatened than ours are, and the Israelis are much better at this kind of security than we are, BUT the Israeli’s aren’t using these scanners. That’s because . . .
These scanners are another waste of your money. The money being spent to buy these scanners is just more corporate welfare for favored companies with political influence. I provide a specific example of this in my sample letter below.
These scanners are also a clear violation of your Constitutional rights.
YOU shouldn’t be forced to give up your dignity to board a plane.
That’s why I sent a letter to Congress demanding that they stop the purchase of airport body scanners. I used DownsizeDC.org’s Cut Federal Spending campaign.
This is what I wrote . . .
Ex-Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff profited from airport body scanner sales from Stimulus funds http://tinyurl.com/2b3mw4r
This suggests that scanner purchases are used to back-scratch special-interest insiders rather than to protect the public. But there are even more important reasons to cut off these purchases.
- Scanning people for whom there is no probable cause to suspect wrongdoing represents an unreasonable search that violates the Fourth Amendment
- Experts believe the scanners could pose a cancer risk.http://tinyurl.com/294qmzk
- Naked images can be, and often are, stored by the feds – raising privacy concerns http://tinyurl.com/33vg9ft
- Passengers are “increasingly subjected to ogling and inappropriate remarks by airport officials” http://tinyurl.com/24lqwzu
- The TSA admits that the scanners do not enhance securityhttp://tinyurl.com/268c6dq
- Israel’s leading security expert says there are ways to fool the scanner http://tinyurl.com/2c3d7dj
You may have heard about Michael Roberts, the pilot who refused the scan and a pat-down. Stand by him. Introduce a bill to force the TSA to respect the Bill of Rights and to stop the purchase of body scanners!
And you can help this message go viral by forwarding it to friends and re-Tweeting it. http://twitter.com/#!/DDCDispatch
Remember, members of Congress respond to constituents. If your representatives aren’t responding to you its because you are being out-competed by other groups and interests in your district. If you want to change this then YOU must find other people in your district to help you get what you want. It really is that simple. It’s not hard, but it is up to YOU.
Jim Babka, President