Yesterday the Senate passed S.510, the fraudulent “food safety” bill, 73-25. You can see how your Senators voted here.
Now the bill goes to the House, where it will have to be reconciled with the even-worse H.R. 2749, which passed back in July, 2009.
Because the lame-duck Congress is running out of time, Speaker Pelosi may try to push through the Senate version with no amendments – like she did with the healthcare bill.
So we must push back hard. Please tell the House to defeat this bill and to not pass any food safety legislation this year.
You may borrow from or copy this letter . . .
I am angry that the overreaching, lame-duck Senate passed S.510, the so-called “food safety” bill. I’m only thankful that it hasn’t yet become law.
This means you still have the chance to do the right thing . . .
- S.510 is based on the arrogant, discredited “government knows best” ideology the voters rejected in November
- S.510 will kill jobs while there is still high unemployment
- S.510 will raise food prices – hurting the poor most of all
- S.510 is unnecessary: food-borne infections have been declining for well over a decade http://tinyurl.com/27aprpj
- S.510 violates the Constitution’s separation of powers by delegating regulatory power to the unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats of the FDA
- And H.R.2749, the House version of the “food safety” bill, is even worse!
Vote “NAY!” on S.510. Oppose all “food safety” legislation in the lame-duck session. You can explain your vote by telling your critics what I just told you.
You can send your letter using DownsizeDC.org’s Educate the Powerful System.
And please spread the word! Forward this to friends and re-tweet this message.
James Wilson, Assistant Communications Director