The inappropriately named “DISCLOSE Act” (H.R. 5175 and S. 3295) is making progress in the House and now in the Senate.
The provisions of this bill would:
- Protect incumbents from competition by other candidates, and from criticism by citizens’ groups.
- Violate your First Amendment rights to free speech, free press, and assembly.
- Harm your First Amendment right to petition Congress for a redress of grievances.
- Crush your Ninth Amendment right to associate with others for peaceful purposes, such as defeating incumbent office holders and electing new representatives.
It’s important to understand that:
- Incumbent politicians support campaign finance laws, like the DISCLOSE Act, because these laws kill your ability to fire and replace them.
- Media companies also love these laws because they cripple your ability to be your own media, by joining with others to fund political advertising campaigns.
If you SUPPORT or OPPOSE this legislation, we urge you to contact your Representative and Senators, let them know of your stance, and ask them to vote accordingly.